Monday, September 26, 2011

Big streamers for pike

Those of you who have followed YGF for a while, know that I have a soft spot in my fly fishing heart for big streamers and the fish that eat them. One of my goals for the angling year is to catch a pike on the fly. I haven't been putting out the honorable effort to complete that goal. Well, that is about to change. A friend of mine here in Missoula has fished for pike in the past and has tied up quite a collection of well proportioned streamers. Josh is letting me borrow them in my quest to get a pike on the fly. Take a look at a couple of them.

some Pike-ish top water streamer action


The bottom one has similar dimensions to the streamer that snapped my 5-weight. Poor decision.

Red - a common color in pike flies. Apparently it makes them rage. Rage away pike. Rage away.

11 comments:

e.m.b. said...

I've always liked red...maybe I have anger issues...

Ivan said...

@ emb - does red make you hungry?

e.m.b. said...

Sometimes... ;-)

CHASE said...

I went all streamer happy and bought some gigantic crawdad patterns this week, I've gotta find something that will hit them now.

Fly Waters Edge - Kevin said...

Buddy is convincing me I need to take up Muskie fishing. The flies are on order. Good Luck on your quest!

Sanders said...

A fine selection for those toothy critters...good luck!

Ivan said...

@Chase - i am sure some bass would readily eat them up.

Ivan said...

@Kevin - nice. that's on my bucket list as well.

Ivan said...

@Sanders - i went out on Tuesday. All I caught were rainbows.

Fly fishing said...

The article you have shared is really very nice and genuine. Thank you for this wonderful post.

Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat said...

The northern pike is one of the easier fish to catch on the Clearwater-Pipestone Chain of Lakes.

Post a Comment

ygf sponsors

ygf videos

MOST RECENT YGF VIDEO THE CLASSIC

Silver and Gold from Yukon Goes Fishing on Vimeo.

for more YGF videos

blogroll