Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Old friend.

I have something shameful to admit. During my time in Montana, I fell in and eventually out of love with the Westslope Cutthroat. I fell in love with a larger, more piscivorous non-native in the form of brown trout.


Maybe love is a strong word. I became jaded. Westslopes came easily and when their genetics were mixed with the non-native rainbows, it sometimes resulted in a dull appearance. I still respected their place in the larger native ecosystem, but I wasn't overjoyed when I caught one.


I was underwhelmed by their appearance. After nearly a year away from waters that hold westies, I am back on the Westslope bandwagon. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. It's true.


I love you, Westslope Cutthroat.

3 comments:

e.m.b. said...

Beauty. There is just something about Going Back...

Fontinalis Rising said...

Ivan, Ivan. . . those are gorgeous fish. Glad you came to your senses.

Unknown said...

that last shot is ridiculous.

Post a Comment

ygf sponsors

ygf videos

MOST RECENT YGF VIDEO THE CLASSIC

Silver and Gold from Yukon Goes Fishing on Vimeo.

for more YGF videos

blogroll