Monday, May 21, 2012

holding on to what's GOLDEN



As some of you may know, last weekend, I caught my first carp on a fly rod. I was floating the Missouri River with guide Jared Edens and owner John "Scumliner" Arnold of Headhunters Fly Shop looking for some it's trouts rising for the buffet of bugs (Mother's Day Caddis, March Browns, Blue Winged Olives, and some weird Trico-ey mayfly) that were hatching. Around 3, the high sun started to take it's toll and the bugs weren't coming off well. In the start of the float, John had mentioned that we would potentially have a shot at carp during the float. He asked if I would be interested. Being a sugar lips virgin, I said "Yes." Fast forward to 3 o'clock in the afternoon, John double checked with me and asked, "Are you serious about this carp?" I replied, "Yes."

So, we took an hour break from catching gaggles of trout on the Missouri to stalk some backwater carp. The carp has it's fair share of haters, but, they are worthy fish on the fly. Sore forearms, folded six weights, purring reels, and gold. During my five plus minute fight with my carp, Jared made it a double. A carp double. No footage to verify that. Just yelling. It happened. Trust me, I am a fly fishing blogger. After our carp break, we resumed hunting rising fish on the Missouri. The dry fly eating trout of the Missouri will grace the next YGF video. For now, enjoy fly fishing for Missouri River carp in HD.

Music: Jurassic 5 "What's Golden?"

17 comments:

BrookfieldAngler said...

What a great first carp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T.J. Brayshaw said...

It pains me to tell you how many carp opportunities you missed while you were in college. They're my number one quarry here!

THE RIVER DAMSEL said...

Ya know...they are a blast to catch...and to look at! I lost one a couple of weeks ago on my 6wt...but, the battle was awesome. Now that #8 is gone from the list...let's work on that #9. 'Tis the summer season!

Fly Waters Edge - Kevin said...

Good Stuff!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Ivan.

What do you use to edit your videos?

Tom Anderson-Brown

Sanders said...

I think I may need to implement the "Carp Break" into the trout regiment...looks like one hell of a good time. Well done sir, great video as always!

Unknown said...

The carp alternative is a great option on the MO and many other rivers. I'm sure that "break" won't be your last. Nicely done!

Steve Zakur said...

Some of my favorite trout fishing float trips included not fishing for trout. Here in the east Smallmouth and Shad have saved many a day and added spice to an otherwise slow trip.

Haven't fished carp yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Ivan said...

@Brookfield Angler - thanks. I definitely feel lucky to have caught such a nice carp as my first.

Ivan said...

@TJ - I know...I know. I'll be back one day.

Ivan said...

@The River Damsel - there is a lot to be done on my list.

Ivan said...

@Fly Waters Edge - thanks kevin.

Ivan said...

@Tom -thank you sir. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and a little bit of After Effects to edit my videos now.

Ivan said...

@Sanders - it is a unique opportunity to take such a break, but it is one that is worth your time.

Ivan said...

@Fred Telleen - definitely not my last. I see trips to Great Falls in my future.

Ivan said...

@Steve - a multi-species day certainly adds some spice. RE: catching carp - do it...now.

Fontinalis Rising said...

Nice job Ivan. I'm still waiting for my Great Lakes carp to move inshore. Carp rock, I don't care what anyone says.

Post a Comment

ygf sponsors

ygf videos

MOST RECENT YGF VIDEO THE CLASSIC

Silver and Gold from Yukon Goes Fishing on Vimeo.

for more YGF videos

blogroll