Thursday, February 17, 2011

Green Drakes in Paradise Revisited

My lack of recent fishing is not a result of winter weather, instead, I am handcuffed by my waders being "in the shop" being repaired/replaced. As a result, I have not been able to produce a fishing video in a while. So, like I have done in the past, I have revisited a day on the water from 2010.

In this video, I revisit an early July day on a tributary of the Clark Fork River, when the green drakes were present and large post-spawn rainbows and cutthroat were eager to eat dries and streamers. This was one of my best days on the water in 2010. I caught a 21" rainbow, 20" cutthroat, a couple 18", and a bunch of 16"s from the small tributary.

I came across a plugin for Final Cut Express called Twixtor, which is used to produce high quality ultra slow motion footage. While Twixtor supposedly produces it's best results with video shot at 60fps, I found that it produced some interesting results for video shot at 30 fps, especially when water is involved. For me, aside from the fish in the video, the most visually intriguing shot starts at 1:35. Check out the video and let me know what you think of the super slow motion. Should I use it in the future or not?

As this is a test video of sorts, none of the footage is in normal speed. It is either super slow motion or fast forward. I will openly admit that the fast forward sequences didn't come out as I had hoped.

The music in the video is a remix of Florence and the Machine's "You've Got the Love" done by the XX. Enjoy the video in HD on vimeo.

green drakes in paradise revisited from Ivan Orsic on Vimeo.

8 comments:

Gary Thompson said...

Man, that's awesome. I particularly liked some of the surface reflections visible during the release shots. Could have sworn I saw a great big grin! The weather was also a welcome breath of fresh air. I'm growing a little tired of winter. I guess I shouldn't complain too much though. We are getting a nice little push of warm weather that will put me on the Arkansas river tomorrow for the February Stone Fly Molt. It's subsurface affair, but the first real protein those fish have seen in quite a while. It's always good for a few tugs. Any tug is a good tug!

Ivan said...

Thanks Gary. It is always nice to see sun, green, post-runoff flow, and no snow in the middle of winter. Good luck on the Arkansas. I read about that February Stone Fly Molt on your blog and it seems like quite the event.

Gary Thompson said...

I have high hopes!

Today seems to be filled with good anglers news, in your state an mine. You see this?

http://willfishforwork.com/2011/02/16/todays-update-on-montana-hb-309/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20willfishforwork/AkTb%20%28Willfishforwork.com%29&utm_content=Google%20Reader

Unknown said...

well, that was very nice, very nice indeed. Thanks for the stoke! mike

Travis said...

All good things man! Sweet video. Really liked the slow transition from above to subsurface

Ivan said...

@gary - I saw that blurb on willfishforwork. very promising. i don't want to get to excited until it is officially killed, but certainly a promising shift.

@royal wulff - glad you enjoyed the video. have been a fan of of dry flies and fat tires.

@ travis - i agree. the water looks like slow-motion jello.

Michael Agneta said...

imho - ygf makes the best fly fishing videos (that don't have absurd production budgets or involve trips to exotic locales). really, you've got a talent. the music is always spot on too.

Ivan said...

thanks a lot mike. I really appreciate your kind words. there are a lot of talented people making really good videos on the cheap and I am honored that you think of my videos so highly.

Post a Comment

ygf sponsors

ygf videos

MOST RECENT YGF VIDEO THE CLASSIC

Silver and Gold from Yukon Goes Fishing on Vimeo.

for more YGF videos

blogroll