Monday, January 24, 2011

Double Rainbow Trout on the Mo

Went to the Mighty Mighty Mo this weekend to fish for it's monster rainbows and browns. Stopped by Headhunters Fly Shop for some nice flies and good advice. Fished between Holter Dam and Craig. With party cloudy to mostly sunny weather in the mid- to high 30s, we were hoping to get into some midgy dry fly action. But, when 12:30 pm hit, the wind came with it and all hopes for dry fly fishing were dashed. There were some sporadic rises, but never enough to fish to risers. It was nice to see large trout feeding at the surface during these long winter months. While we didn't get into any monsters, Bucko and I caught some solid rainbows between 17 and 20 inches. I ended up with two rainbows, both around 19 inches. Bucko caught 7 trout, but he also caught two whitefish, so that hurts his overall score. I did have a shot at a 19 to 21 inch brown trout later in the day, but it's acrobatic run loosened the size 18 lightning bug out of it's mouth.

I spent all day with water up to my right thigh. I have some massive leak in my waders that I cannot find. My left leg feels left out of the water party. It can't wait until spring and summer when it will finally get a chance to feel the rush of cold water during the wet wading season.

The highlight of the trip was the wintery double we brought to the net. More than 3 feet of rainbow represented in two nice specimens. Yes, the famed Double Rainbow. In this video, I pay tribute to the double rainbow guy. If you haven't seen it yet, do it now. Then watch this (in HD on vimeo).


Double Rainbow Trout on the Mo from Ivan Orsic on Vimeo.

17 comments:

Headhunters said...

YGF,
Funny double rainbow guy, had me in stitches...watched it 3X. Cool video too. Really dig it YGF. Thanks for the props too. We'll catch you next trip...Squeeky

Ivan said...

Thanks Squeeky. glad you enjoyed the videos. I will be back on the Mo in the near future and will definitely stop back in Headhunters. I want that 25" brown that a gear fisherman took at the CA islands on saturday.

Erin said...

Oh Ivan.... hahaha!! Glad you got to catch up with Mikey the other night... He ran out on you because I was having a minor issue with a leaking roof/ceiling... And, btw, my tent never leaked.

AZWanderings said...

Love the video Ivan. Keep up the great work.

Ben

Ivan said...

@ erin - no worries. hope everything is good with the house. let me know when you guys are back in the zoo. if i don't see you before the summer, then i will see you on the selway.

@ ben - thanks man.

Travis said...

sick video dude!!

Ivan said...

thanks travis. glad you enjoyed it.

Gary Thompson said...

Cool stuff man! Loved the video (props from Headhunters). I'm on board. Full Steam ahead. Good 2011 wish list!

Ivan said...

thanks for the follow gary. glad you enjoyed the video. if i hit half of those goals in the wish list i will be more than pleased. silk lines and paper hulls now holds its rightful place in the links of YGF.

THE RIVER DAMSEL said...

Your fishing wish list is very nice...about half of those rivers are my stomping grounds...I have not been to the MO yet, but might have to put it in the mix for next year! Nice vid...

Ivan said...

@ RD - the Mo is definitely worth a trip. if you don't like crowds, I would try it during the off-season. winter, early spring, or late fall. during the peak summer months, it apparently gets pretty crowded. I have yet to fish it during peak summer months, but there is a reason it gets so crowded. there are big fish in there.

Chris said...

That's damn funny... good work.

Ivan said...

glad you enjoyed it chris.

Anonymous said...

I loved it! Where do you get the music you use in the vids, if you don't mind telling? I'm having to make my own and let me tell you - it doesn't sound like I've got any chance at American Idol anytime soon! :) LOL

Ivan said...

@ Owl - I get my music from my obscenely large music collection. I have opted to not to go with any royalty free music as I am not profiting from the videos. In one of my videos, the trout of 2010 I used some music that I made myself.

Glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks for the follow, like, visit, and comment.

Brian J. said...

Dude-- laughed my ass off. Double rainbow!!!

Cheers

Ivan said...

thanks for stopping by brian. happy to see you back in the blogosphere on the haddis catch.

Post a Comment

ygf sponsors

ygf videos

MOST RECENT YGF VIDEO THE CLASSIC

Silver and Gold from Yukon Goes Fishing on Vimeo.

for more YGF videos

blogroll