Tuesday, March 16, 2010

4 Westslope Cutties, 1 Brown Trout, 1 Cutbow, 4 Mountain Whitefish, and 1 Largescale Sucker

And boom goes the dynamite. Upper Rock Creek treated me well today. While the temperature flirted with the lower 40s and snow fell intermittently, I enjoyed great success on Upper Rock Creek. Nymphing with size 8 and size 10 black stonefly nymphs and a red bead-head san juan worm, I landed a personal best 11 fish today. The diversity of species was impressive - westslope cutthroat, brown trout, cutbow (or a cutthroat - rainbow hybrid), mountain whitefish, and (most surprising of all) a largescale sucker. It was the day of fishing I have been waiting for this winter. The action started fast and continued throughout the day. As always, it was just fun to be outside on the river. But, catching 11 fish made the 1.5 hour drive up to Upper Rock Creek a little easier. Enjoy the pictures. With this post, I think my blog has finally transitioned from a casting blog to a fishing blog.

SIDE NOTE: I talked to a fellow angler - he said he caught about 35 (of which 12 were trout). So, I have some work to do.

westslope cutthroat flashing its cut - rock creek 3.13

 westslope cutthroat closeup - rock creek 3.13


first trout of 2010 - cuttie - rock creek 3.13


brown trout - rock creek 3.13


Rock Creek cutbow/cuttie?


westslope cutthroat - rock creek 3.13

mountain whitefish - rock creek 3.13


I was confused when I pulled this into my net. Put up quite the fight.


Upper Rock Creek near Gilles

ygf sponsors

ygf videos

MOST RECENT YGF VIDEO THE CLASSIC

Silver and Gold from Yukon Goes Fishing on Vimeo.

for more YGF videos

blogroll